Monday, November 24, 2008

A Year At A Glance

Isn't that what they call those tiny calendars on postcards...with the days so small you can barely see them!?

Today, I sat in reflection over the past year. I was attempting to write our 2008 Christmas letter which I insert every year with our photo card. The purpose is to catch the family and friends up on what we did for the year....only, I couldn't think of anything!?
I know that so much happened!?!
It's disturbing to me that my memory of the days gone by...is as small as the numbers on the 'At A Glance!' As if the days are so small and insignificant!?

But that's not how I feel!! If anything, I feel the extreme opposite! Like the days are SO precious!! So few that I have left before my kids are off to school and on their way in the world! And yet, when reflecting on the past 365 days I'm left with only a blank page!?!? How can this be!?

Finally, something...our vacations. Yes, they were fun....oh, and so and so's wedding, that was beautiful! OH, and so and so's baby was born...precious....and JB turned one and AJ turned three! These are big things!

Why is it that is all I can remember!
There were so many milestones reached, fun stories, memories made....trouble is ...I can't remember them!?!? How long would it take me to forget these, had I not written them down tonight!?

"Why didn't I start blogging sooner?!" I asked myself. Then I could have just gone back and reviewed what I wrote!

It's such a fine line isn't it!? Balancing life. Being careful to document the past and learn from it, with out living in it!
All the while, planning for the future...but not banking on it!
AND, remembering to live in the moment...being ever present in that which is happening around you, here and now!!

If anyone has figured this one out, please tell me how!?

It reminds me of my favorite song from the musical Rent:

Season's of Love

525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear.
525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?
In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights, in cups of coffee.
In inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife.
In 525,600 minutes - how do you measure a year in the life?
How about love? How about love? How about love? Measure in love.
Seasons of love.

1 comment:

-ana- said...

That's one thing I've definitely come to appreciate about blogging...I can look back and not just read (like you would in a journal) but SEE pictures to match what was happening in my life. Kinda feels like a digital photo journal...